Friday, October 24, 2008

Uniform

It is a strange part of getting older when you realize your perspective on things has changed so drastically. For so long it has seemed that I never felt so far removed from high school. When I would substitute for high school classes, I would often sympathize with the way the students felt and remember how it was for me. Today, also while substituting, I realized I felt very differently about things that I was once sure I would always believe.

The public school system is very flawed. It seems that it's just not working. The number of children that don't appear to be getting any education at all is quite high from what I've seen. These classes have no structure and the students have no respect. There is more time spent trying to calm the kids down or bargain with them about doing their work than there is spent teaching.

This seems to mostly be the case with the upper class. The younger children still have the fear of adults that they will often listen when yelled at. The older students simply disrespect teachers for the reputation. In almost every class there is one person who wants to be the "class clown" of sorts. When the class laughs at them, they just go on until they are finally threatened with something to make them shut up or they are removed from class. This isn't a new feeling so much since I've always been annoyed by these types of people.

I never gave much thought to private school or uniforms but I think they are possibly a good thing. In a private school there is likely a standard of discipline that is expected and required. The uniform is one part of that and I think it would be an advantage. I'm all for individuality but that tends to single certain people out as the "popular kids" or the "dorks." Uniforms would put everyone on a level playing field to begin with. It's true that kids will be kids and there will be other reasons to pick fights or make fun of their peers if that's what they're going to do, but it could severely reduce the instances and give kids a chance they might not have otherwise.

I just think, with the ever expanding population of public schools, it's necessary to do something to deal with the increasing level of difficulty keeping students focused on learning. More importantly, it's necessary to keep the students who would distract those who want to learn in check and make sure they can't negatively effect the progress of those students.

This may be a rambling based on a few experiences and not a well-researched essay that might convince someone to agree with me, but it's something that occurred to me as an issue that needs some attention.

No comments: