Thursday, October 2, 2008

My faves, for reel.. 2


Dead Poet's Society ranks right up at the top as another of my favorite movies. Robin Williams is a big selling point of course, but the movie stands on its own. It is greatly intellectual without being pretentious and it emphasizes the kind of effect a teacher can have on a student if the relationship is right. There is so much going on that is just about being young and having fun, but still enjoying knowledge. I would love to be in a group that is similar to their society. Sneaking off into the night to recite poetry in a cave is always fun!

I think the scene after Neil (Robert Sean Leonard, who is now my second favorite character on House) dies is extremely well done. After everyone finds out they go outside. It is snowing and gray and cold. Todd runs off down the snow covered hill, thrashing wildly. I feel like that scene is a great summation of how it feels to lose someone close and important to you. Everything is monotone, gray and cold; so cold, you're numb. You run and scream hoping someone will see or hear you and be able to feel what you feel and fix it, but there's just blankness all around. But eventually the snow melts and summer returns.

Mr. Keating: "To quote from Whitman, 'O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.' That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.” ~ Henry David Thoreau

Carpe Diem.

No comments: