Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My faves, for reel..

Good Will Hunting is by far one of my favorite movies ever. Some of my favorite actors are in it: Matt Damon and Robin Williams. Ben Affleck plays a great character in this movie as well and I like him in many other things, he just doesn't rank at the top of my favorites list. The fact that he and Matt wrote the movie though does put him up there on my favorite writers list, even if this was the only movie they wrote that got made... so far.

Anyway, the story in this film is just great. It's got the right amount of comedy mixed with drama. When there's drama, there's real drama too. One of my favorite scenes is when Sean puts Matt up against the wall by his throat for disrespecting his wife. It's so emotional you can feel it. That is starkly contrasted by the scenes in therapy where Sean and Will discuss the idiosyncrasies of his relationship with his wife, like when she farted in her sleep. The whole movie is emotional and very heartfelt.

In a way, I think I relate to the character of Will. I'm not a genius, I envy him in that regard, but I feel like I could be doing something much more intellectual a lot of the time. Mostly the way he pushes away people he cares about because he's afraid of being left or hurt I can relate to. And, like him, I realize that I have this problem and I do these things but I can't seem to change it. Watching this movie brings up sad feelings sometimes but, like all of my favorites, it lets me escape for a couple of hours into another world and be somewhere that I am guaranteed a happy ending.

And of course....
Will: Do you like apples?
Clark: Yeah..
Will: Well, I got her number. How do you like them apples?

I'm going to keep this up as a constant list of my favorite movies and keep the bloglist on the sidelines here.

No comments: