Thursday, June 10, 2010

Walk Before You Run

As my arms glisten with sweat in my poorly lit computer room, I can't help but think about where I am in life. I love to run. It's more of a love/hate relationship I suppose since it's not always pleasant running, however I enjoy the way I feel once I've finished. I think the attraction to running might be partly due to the symbolism since running is often used to describe someone who is trying to escape. I am. Running lets me escape everything and focus on a goal. That's another reason I enjoy it: achievement. While I have accrued several certificates or degrees that one might assume should be a source of pride, I know how I got them and there is no real reason to be exceptionally proud of that. I put in my time and that is not something worthy of an honor (though that is how most honors are received.) I am proud of much of the work I have done while working towards my degree but the overall experience didn't require an abundance of effort. Running, on the other hand, require effort and has the benefit of being a short-term and long-term goal. In the short-term I have to finish whatever run I might be doing that day. It might be three miles or seven, but I know I want to reach that goal and it feels good when I finish it. At the same time I'm often working toward running farther over time. For example, I intend to enter some short races this summer or fall-5k or 10k-but my goal is to complete a half marathon. I don't have a date for this goal except before I'm 30. I've spent so much time being lazy over the past month I feel like I really need to step it up now and exercise on a daily basis.

No comments: